Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Horses are welcome. Access must be arranged in advance unless a member of a local stables where we have a liaison group and access arrangements in place. Please respect other reserve users and stick to the paths. Occasional volunteer roving reserve guides.
How to get here
Canvey Wick is 6 km (3.7 miles) from Benfleet station where there are regular services from Shoeburyness and London Fenchurch Street. From the station, you can reach the reserve by foot, bike, bus or taxi. For more information about train times please visit the C2C website before you travel.
Take the number 21 bus, Canvey to Southend. The nearest stop is 'Canvey Village outside Morrisons'. Walk along Northwick Road with Morrisons on your left, cross over the roundabout and continue down the road until you reach the reserve entrance.
Take the A130 south onto Canvey Island from the A13. At the Waterside farm roundabout, take the third exit to stay on the A130- Canvey Road. Take the second exit at the next roundabout and then the third exit at the next roundabout onto Northwick Road. The reserve car park is located on the left-hand side.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
The car park is compacted gravel.
- Some paths are concrete whilst others are unsurfaced and can get muddy - in winter in particular.
- There is a metal radar gate from the car park to access the reserve.
- Access for horses is available via the car park. Horse riders can arrange access via obtaining a gate code by phoning the RSPB visitor centre - please phone in advance.
- There is access to the sea wall and Roscommon Way via heavy duty kissing gates at the south and east sides of the reserve.
- The Bee Trail and the Orchid Trail are both just under a mile. Both trails can be accessed from the car park.
- No seating.
- There is an information board at the beginning of the trail paths.
Dogs are allowed on trails only. Please keep them on a lead. There is a dog waste bin located in the car park.