Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
- Boats leave Orford Quay at 10am on the first Saturday of every month (max 12 people), except May-July (also selected weekends). Staff and volunteers on hand to help people on and off boat. Unavoidably large step which can be moving slightly (depending on the wind and tide). For more information telephone 01728 648281.
- Hats recommended in summer to protect from gull colony.
How to get here
The nearest station is Wickham Market Station. From the station, follow the B1078 east through Tunstall to the B1084. Turn left and follow through to the village of Orford.
You can take Route 160: Ipswich - Bealings - Woodbridge - Orford. From the village centre, follow signs to Orford quay.
This reserve is close to Route 1 of the National Cycle Network.
Access by boat from Orford Quay. The village of Orford is located 17 km (11 miles) to the north-east of Woodbridge; the village is signposted off the A12.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Prior booking is essential.The boat leaves Orford quay at 10am and returning to Orford at about 3.20pm, on the first Saturday of each month only.
The boat journey takes approximately 20 minutes. Bookings are made via the rspb website or search Havergate Island on Eventbrite.
Access to facilities
- Island accessed by a jetty without handrails 0.75 m wide and 15 m long at low tide. Can be wet and slippy depending on tide.
- Single 2 km long linear track connecting all of the hides, viewing screens and lagoons.
- Grass surface - can be wet, muddy and uneven. Width restrictions of less than 1 m. Two bridges (approx 1.5 m wide) and two stepped walkways over seawall. Little change in gradient.
- Registered Assistance Dogs welcome at all times.
- No other dogs allowed.