Mammals such bats and hedgehogs need homes for shelter and to raise a family. Sometimes it can be hard to find suitable or safe locations, but you can help them.
This activity is about making your grounds a great place for mammals to live. It could be undertaken as a science and/or technology task, with pupils investigating what kind of homes mammals need. Equally, it’s an opportunity to use Design and Technology skills to make a home for mammal.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
This activity supports the following subjects: Science, Design and Technology.
What do I need?
- Wood and nails
- Thick cardboard box
- Plastic bag or sheet
What do I do?
- Decide which mammal you would like to give a home to.
- Research the kind of habitat this mammal likes.
- Either buy or make a home for your mammal.
- Use our step-by-step 'how-to' sheets below.
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo, drawing, painting or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
- Make a bat box
- Buy a bat box
- Make a hog house
- Buy a hedgehog house
- Creu blwch ystlumod (Welsh)
- Creu tyˆ draenog (Welsh)
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading photo’s of your home, or even the animals that are using them. You could write a description of what you did or draw pictures.
Get them thinking
Here are some prompts to help with learning:
- What do you need to consider about the materials you use?
- How can you try to ensure that wildlife will thrive in the environment you are creating?