There’s a world of amazing nature lurking beneath the surface of the water, ready for you to discover.
This activity is about finding and getting to know pond minibeasts. You can also find out more about underwater habitats and learn about food chains.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
This activity supports the following subjects: Science.
What do I need?
- Pond dipping net
- Shallow tray to put your finds in so that you can observe them more closely
- Pictures of pond creatures to help you identify them. Download our free Spot It sheet - Spot It - ponds
- You may want to have a go at making your own pond dipping net you can download instructions below:
What do I do?
- Carefully sweep your pond dipping net through the water
- Gently tip the contents of your net into your tray (make sure this has water from the pond in)
- Carefully look at what you have found? Think about how it might have adapted to live in the pond and how it might fit in a wider food chain.
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo or some writing showing where and when you explored aquatic habitats, what techniques you used, and what you found.
Get them thinking
Here are some prompts to help with learning:
- What do you think is important about water habitats?
- What role in food chains/webs does a pond play?
- What evidence of this can you find when investigating a pond habitat?