There’s a world of amazing nature lurking beneath the surface of the water, ready for you to discover
This activity is about finding pond minibeasts, taking a closer look at them and identifying them.
Are you doing this activity as part of your ild Challenge? Take a look at your progress and go for gold!
What do I need?
- Pond dipping net
- Shallow tray to put your finds in so that you can observe them more closely
- Pictures of pond creatures to help you identify them. Download our free Spot It sheet - Spot It - ponds
- You may want to have a go at making your own pond dipping net or under water viewer, you can download instructions here
Make a pond-dipping net
Make an underwater viewer
What do I do?
- Carefully sweep your pond dipping net through the water
- Gently tip the contents of your net into your tray (make sure this has water from the pond in)
- Carefully look at what you have found, can you identify it?
- Don't forget to tell us when you have completed the activity! When you mark the activity as complete, you will be asked to upload a photo or a piece of writing talking about your experience to help earn your award.
Completing the activity
Use the 'Mark as complete' button at the top of this page to tell us you've completed your activity. You'll need to show us what you did by uploading a photo or some writing showing where and when you explored aquatic habitats, what techniques you used, and what you found.