Source to Sea
The Source to Sea Programme will tackle the causes of water pollution in the rivers and tributaries flowing into Morecambe Bay and improve the landscape through which the water flows. It will also look to raise awareness of water quality issues amongst communities living and working around the Bay.
- Morecambe Bay and its river catchments should be considered holistically as one interacting entity. Therefore the Source to Sea Programme is a pan-Morecambe Bay Catchment Restoration Fund initiative, which encompasses restoration projects for a range of waterbodies, protected sites and associated priority habitats and species.
- The Source to Sea Programme will deliver wider protected area measures, focussing on EU Habitats Directive outcomes on water dependent Sites of Special Scientific Interest, Special Areas of Conservation and Special Protection Areas as well as delivering benefits for bathing waters and helping to meet the Shellfish Directive.
- Several protected species will also directly benefit from the Programme, including salmonids and eels.
- Lune Rivers Trust, Cumbria Wildlife Trust Morecambe Bay Partnership
- Cumbria Woodlands
- The Arnside and Silverdale AONB Partnership with support from Natural England
- Forestry Commission
- The Environment Agency