Summary accessibility statement
How to get here
Fearn, 4.5 miles away (7 km). From Fearn station turn right onto B9165 then immediately right down lane to Balinroich. Continue for 1.5 miles (2.5 km) until the T junction and turn right. After 0.4 miles (0.7 km) turn left at T junction onto B9175. Continue for 2.5 miles (4 km); the reserve car park is on your right and is signposted.
Stagecoach bus route 25X runs from Inverness to Tain and goes right past the reserve car park.
National Cycle Network Route 1
From the A9 heading north, turn right at the Nigg roundabout onto the B9175 signed to Nigg. Continue on this road for approximately 3.75 miles (6 km) until you see the RSPB sign on the right.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
A ferry sails from Cromarty to Nigg Ferry, half-hourly from June to September. On arrival at Nigg Ferry the reserve is about 2.1 miles (3.5 km) up the B9175, on the left.
Access to facilities
Access for disabled visitors is from the rear via the car park.
The path from the car park to the hide is flat and approximately 150 m long, with tap-rails for visually impaired visitors.
- One hide with two wheelchair bays, each with space for two wheelchairs.
- Level access.
- Standard and low height sash viewing windows.
- Moveable seating.
- Hide accessed by short ramp.
- This nature reserve is important for wildlife. RSPB Scotland welcomes responsible access, in line with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
- During the ground-nesting bird breeding season (1 April to 15 August) we would ask that you keep your dog close to you, preferably on a short lead and please clean up after your dog. We request that dogs are kept out of the hide.