Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Check accessibility for events and activities.
How to get here
The nearest station is Sandy, on the King's Cross to Peterborough main line, 0.9 miles (1.4 km) from the reserve entrance. From the station car park, turn right towards the Potton road. Turn right, cross the bridge and proceed up the hill. You can follow our nature trail or there is a paved footpath on the right.
Buses from Bedford stop in Sandy town centre; local buses between Hitchin, Sandy, Blunham and Biggleswade (Centrebus 188) stop directly inside the reserve entrance.
The principal route open in Bedfordshire is the section of Route 51 from Milton Keynes to Bedford and Sandy. Route 12 is still being developed and will meet Route 51 near the reserve.
From Sandy town centre, take the B1042 Potton road, passing the railway station and cemetery on your right. After 1.2 miles (1.75 km), at the top of the hill, turn right into the RSPB-marked entrance.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
- Entrance is by a ramp with a handrail on one side.
- Step-free, level access throughout with carpet tiles.
- Good lighting.
- Staff available to assist.
- Blue Badge spaces are 50m from the Gatehouse entrance.
- Blue Badge Space further down the drive towards The Lodge house
- Compacted stone surface
- No lighting
- No formal drop-off point
- The path from the Visitor centre and shop, past the hide and to The Lodge house and around the gardens is on level, although at times slightly uneven ground. Other paths will have steeper, stepped sections and are not suitable for mobility vehicles and most prams.
- Trails can be steeply undulating, with raised tree roots, stepped sections, with some hard sand paths on the level. Seating is provided throughout the reserve. Information provided along trails can be read from a child’s eye/seated position.
- One hide with an entry ramp has large windows and moveable seats.
- Registered Assistance Dogs welcome.
- No other dogs are permitted on trails, except the public bridleway.
- A water bowl is available at the Gatehouse