There are lots of different bird foods available, including mixes for bird feeders and bird tables, as well as for ground feeding. Winter is a time when natural food shortages could occur and these foods can help the birds out during this time.
- Blackbirds mostly feed on the ground and will eat a broad range of foods, from fatty nibbles to mealworms.
- Blue Tits and Great Tits use both a feeder and a bird table, eating seeds as well as suet and peanuts.
- Finches, including Chaffinches and Greenfinches, also use both a feeder and a bird table, and they love sunflower hearts. But don't forget to clean them weekly to avoid spreading disease.
- Look for good quality bird food – those that don’t include ‘fillers’ such as dried peas and beans that birds rarely eat. You’ll find some great mixes in our shop.
- You can put out leftovers such as dried fruit, or fruit such as apples and pears. Don’t use anything mouldy or salty though, and if you have a dog don’t put out dried fruit – vine fruits such as raisins can be toxic to them.