What makes tropical forests so special?
Natural tropical forests are home to at least 70 per cent of the world's land-based plants and animals, sheltering more than 13 million distinct species.
Over one billion people depend on tropical forests, with local communities using them every day for food, water, housing and medicines. Many of the crops and medicines we rely on - including rubber, cocoa and coffee - have ancestors in tropical forests.
For the planet
Tropical forests naturally lock away billions of tonnes of carbon, playing a vital role in the global battle against climate change. Deforestation causes up to 20 per cent of all human emissions of greenhouse gases - more than all of the world's transport.
Tropical forests are so full of life they practically have a heartbeat. But that pulse gets weaker every time a tree is cut down. Help us keep them alive.
With our partners, we're protecting nearly 240,000 hectares of tropical forest in seven countries across the world.
- Basel Zoo - Across the River (Gola)
- Conservation International - Global Conservation Fund (Gola and Harapan)
- Critical Ecosystem Partnership Fund (CEPF)
- DEFRA Darwin Initiative (Gola, Montserrat and Harapan)
- DFID Civil Society Challenge Fund (South Nandi and the Ulugurus)
- Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund (Harapan)
- DOF, BirdLife in Denmark (Harapan)
- EC Environment and Natural Resources Thematic Programme (ENRTP) (Gola)
- EU - 'Tropical Forests' (Gola and Harapan)
- Fonds Français pour l’Environnement Mondiale (FFEM) (Gola)
- Care for Nature Trust (Harapan)
- Nature Society Singapore (Harapan)
- International Association for Bear Research and Management (Harapan)
- Nando Peretti Foundation (Harapan)
- Natagora/Natuurpunt (BirdLife in Belgium) (Harapan)
- Naturally Plus (Harapan)
- Panthera (Harapan)
- Sea World / Busch Gardens Conservation Fund (Harapan)
- Singapore Airlines (Harapan)
- SVS (BirdLife Switzerland) - Art for Rainforests (Harapan)
- The Michael Marks Charitable Trust (Harapan)
- US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) (Gola and Harapan)
- USAID/IP STEWARD (Gola)
Harapan is also supported by NABU and co-financed by the Federal Republic of Germany within the framework of the International Climate Protection Initiative of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) through KfW Development Bank