I am an ecologist with more than 15 years’ experience in avian population ecology and applied conservation and I have spent a lot of time testing possible solutions to conservation problems.
I now manage a team of 15-20 scientists working to deliver the science needs of Scotland and Northern Ireland. It is my job to enable and support my team to be as brilliant as they are. I also usually have one or two PhD students.
When I get a chance to do any science, I have expertise in a range of species and habitats and my research has focused on using habitat, management and demographic data to understand patterns of occupancy and abundance at a range of scales from nests to landscapes.
I will always love breeding waders. I am passionate about science communication and in particular ensuring that science infleunces policy and practise.
- 2020 Chair of the International Wader Study Group
- 2014 to 2021: British Ornithologists' Union Council, Chair - Engagement Committee (2014-16), Chair - Ibis Management Committee (2016 to 2021)
- 2013-present: Honorary Lectureship at the UEA
- 2012: Associate Editor of Ibis
Partners and Collaboration
- Prof Jenny Gill, University of East Anglia
- Samantha Franks, BTO
- Geoff Hilton & Lynda Donaldson, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
- Dr Nicola Hemmings, University of Sheffield