I am Head of Monitoring at the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science and have an Honorary Professorship at the Centre for Biodiversity and Environment Research (CBER) at the University College London.
I studied Ecology at York University, completing a doctorate in Epidemiology and Ecology at Oxford University, and moved on to hold a Junior Research Fellowship at St Cross College, Oxford. From there, I joined the British Trust for Ornithology as the Head of the Census Unit, and joined the RSPB in 1999 as the Head of the Monitoring Section.
I have a good publication record with research interests in survey design, biodiversity monitoring and indicators, citizen science, climatic change impacts, conservation priorities, measuring natural capital, ecosystem services, alien invasive species, and the impacts of predation and wildlife diseases.
I manage a section of around 20 staff - mostly in UK some in continental Europe. I lead and manage the European Bird Census Council's Pan-European Common Bird Monitoring Scheme (PECBMS), which is based in Prague.
I am a member of the Biodiversity Indicator Partnership, UK Bird Expert Group, UK Biodiversity Indicators Steering Group, the PECBMS Steering & Technical Groups.
I act as an expert referee for a range of academic journals, research councils, Defra and the Universities. I currently co-supervise two PhD students.
Winner of the European Bird Census Council Award 2013 and the UniBio Press Award for Ornithological Science 2011.
- 2016 to present: IUCN/SSC Species Monitoring Specialist Group
- 2012 - 2016: Royal Society's UK Biodiversity Science Committee
- 2012 to present: Co-leader of GEO BON's Terrestrial Species Monitoring Working Group
- 2012 to present: UK Biodiversity Indicators Steering Group, Wildlife & Countryside Link Rep
Partners and Collaboration
- Dr Nick Isaac, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology
- Dr Ben Collen, University College London
- Drs Steve Willis & Phil Stephens, University of Durham
- Dr Simon Butler, University of East Anglia