Operation Turtle Dove
Turtle doves are the fastest-declining bird in the UK. Operation Turtle Dove aims to reverse that by building on research throughout their migratory route and establishing feeding habitats throughout their core breeding range by working with farmers and landowners.
- To increase the amount of feeding habitat available to turtle doves within their core breeding range in the UK.
- To provide early sources of food to enable turtle doves to recover from their migration when they return to breeding grounds in late April-May.
- To work with farmers and landowners to establish and manage turtle dove habitat within current and new agri-environment schemes.
- To deliver free farm advisory visits to farmers within core turtle dove breeding range.
- To raise awareness of the plight of turtle doves.
- To encourage people to submit their sightings.
- 22 free farm advisory visits delivered throughout Essex and Suffolk.
- 14 non-farm site visits delivered.
- Delivery of community outreach in Essex and Suffolk.