Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
Check accessibility for events and activities.
How to get here
The nearest station is Rye, 10 miles (16 km) from the reserve. You can then take the bus 100 to Lydd, and bus 11/11A/11B (not Sundays) from Lydd to the reserve.
Ashford station is 16 miles (25 km) from the reserve. You can use bus service 11/11A/11B (not Sundays) to reserve.
Folkestone station is 20 miles (32 km) from the reserve. You can use bus service 101 to Lydd and bus 11/11A/11B (not Sundays) from Lydd to reserve.
Bus services 11/11A/11B from Ashford via Lydd (not Sundays) stop on request at the reserve entrance from where there is a one-mile walk to the Visitor Centre. There is a limited service on bus 102 from Lydd or Folkestone. The nearest stops on Sundays are at either Lydd or Lydd-on-Sea (The Pilot Inn).
One mile out of Lydd on the Dungeness Road turn right for the main site. The visitor centre and car park are one mile along the entrance track.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
- Ground floor with step-free, level access throughout and carpeted flooring.
- Lowered counter section.
- Good lighting and ample space.
- Several seating areas.
- Shop selling bird food, optics, gifts and books. Staff available to assist.
- Surface hard-packed shingle, occasional potholes.
- Cement surface for Blue Badge
The toilets (with disabled and baby change facilities) are not attached to our visitor centre and are situated opposite, a short hop across the car park.
- One main route, a circular trail which is approximately 2 miles.
- A variety of benches, perches and occasional bench provided.
- There are 6 hides in total. 4 of them have a Blue Badge parking space.
- Hides have adapted wheelchair spaces.
- Paths hard packed shingle or gravel with some loose stones.
- A hide and screen opposite to main reserve at Hanson-ARC site is accessed on compact aggregate with some loose stones, occasionally muddy.
- Three tables in the car park, all with wheelchair spaces.
- Three tables, two with wheelchair spaces at Dennis's Hide.
- A table 45m from the visitor centre with a view over the pond-dipping area.
- No dogs allowed, except registered assistance dogs.
- However, dogs can be exercised on a lead in the car park.
- Ground floor, step-free, level, large flexible space.
- Good lighting.
- Carpet flooring.
- Includes a large but relatively shallow pond with gently sloping shingle edges next to visitor centre.
- Flat, grassy Discovery Area approximately 500m from visitor centre.