Summary accessibility statement
Before you visit
- A mobility scooter and manual wheelchair are available to borrow, booking essential.
- Check accessibility for events and activities.
How to get here
Darsham is the closest station (5 miles).
Leiston is the nearest scheduled bus (4 miles). A demand-responsive bus will meet local buses and trains from 7am - 7pm Monday to Saturday. It must be booked the day before travelling by calling Suffolk Links Blyth on 01728 635938.
National cycle route 1 links with regional route 42 (Suffolk Coast Cycle route).
The reserve is sign posted with brown tourist signs from Westleton.
Sat nav POI file: If you have a satellite navigation system that can accept POI files, please see our POI page for a download link and instructions.
Access to facilities
- Pedestrian access by a tarmac sloping path from Blue Badge parking or steps closer to the visitor centre.
- Enter through heavy doors, opening outwards.
- A door bell is provided for assistance.
- Ground floor, tiled, step-free and level throughout with a slight slope on entry.
- Clear print displays.
- Low counter section.
- Chairs available on request.
- Good lighting.
- Portable hearing loop.
- Blue badge spaces 80 m from visitor centre via a sloped path.
- Drop-off outside visitor centre – beware of vehicles and pedestrians.
- Level and even pea gravel surface.
- A mix of different paths, both flat and undulating, where walks can be enjoyed.
- Some nature trails and hides are adapted for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
- Benches on many parts of the trails.
- Ramped or level entry into four hides (North, West, South and Island Mere).
- Level surface, tiled floor and step-free throughout.
- Upright chairs without arms.
- Mix of self-service and staff assistance.
- Additional seating outdoors.
- Contrasting crockery.
- No dogs, except Registered Assistance Dogs.
- Water provided at visitor centre
Additional accessibility information
- The shop is in the visitor centre next to the tearoom. Space limited in places. Good lighting. Some goods maybe difficult to reach. Staff available to assist.