Nature is in trouble - and you could be part of the solution.
Growing our membership
As a charity, around a third of the RSPB's funding comes from membership, which allows us to carry out all our fantastic work, protecting and restoring the wild places nature depends on.
Our current membership is around 1.2 million. But we need more people to support us, whether it’s taking action to help their garden wildlife, getting their kids excited about nature or supporting the RSPB’s wider global work.
COVID Media Statement – RSPB Membership Fundraising
Our Face to Face Membership Fundraising teams will be starting to go back out to public places away from our reserves from August 2020. We want to start a conversation with as many people as possible. This gives us the chance to explain that the UK’s wildlife is vanishing, and our natural world is in trouble.
As parts of the UK come out of lockdown, we are looking at how we can get back out into communities and the places where people are. Clearly it will be a long time before things return to normal, so have been looking at what we can do that will mean everyone is safe and we can return to having conversations about saving nature.
As you would expect this will mean strictly adhering to social distancing measures, cleaning surfaces regularly and taking the extra steps needed to keep everyone safe. We will be constantly reviewing how we work, learning from others as well as taking on the advice of health professionals and any local regulations. It is also worth stressing that the climate and nature crises have not abated while the world is dealing with the global pandemic, and our work is just as urgent and vital as ever.
We are taking every precaution to keep our teams and the public safe and of course will be directing people to our website if people do not feel comfortable talking to someone even with our social distancing precautions in place.
Andy Stokes - Head of Health, Safety and Environment at the RSPB
Be the face of the RSPB
The RSPB employs more than 100 face-to-face in-house recruitment staff to encourage members of the public to sign up to become members and long term supporters of the RSPB. You might have seen us chatting to the public about our work at RSPB nature reserves, country shows or events.
As the face of the RSPB, our face-to-face recruitment team are often the first point of contact for people who know little or nothing about us or what we do (you’d be surprised how many people think we’re a bird rescue centre!). While they are there to recruit, our fantastic face-to-face staff are also there to inspire and enthuse the public with real passion for nature.
You don't need to be a nature or conservation expert. As long as you have enthusiasm, a great way with people and an interest in the RSPB's mission to give nature a home, we'd love to hear from you.
There are a great many challenges facing charities in the current climate but the RSPB gives you everything you need to rise to these challenges. You will receive regular support from your line manager and friendly team, room for creative freedom to engage with the public in a way which works for you and us, training conferences and on the job training.
There are lots of opportunities to develop both personally and professionally with a clear progression path if you want to stay in membership, and the opportunity to develop wider skills used in a variety of sectors. In the past our staff have gone onto a variety of careers such as visitor experience, practical conservation, digital support, policy work and membership management.
- Membership Fundraiser - Working at various events and sites to engage with and encourage the public to support the RSPB
- Face-to-face Area Manager - To lead and manage Membership Fundraisers, supporting them to achieve set membership recruitment targets as well as your own, and to inspire the public to support the RSPB
- Membership Operations Manager - To develop a culture of high performance amongst the membership recruitment workforce.
Want to know why you should be a Membership Fundraiser?
Watch the video on this page to hear from one of our team on the difference you could make by becoming part of the team.
What we’ll do for you
At the RSPB, we look after our staff. As part of our Face To Face Membership team, you will receive ongoing training, support and opportunities to develop your career and be the best you can be.
- Full staff training. You’ll be fully inducted into our fantastic charity and given the chance to build tailored personal development plans on how to grow within the organisation.
- When you’re in your RSPB van, all fuel costs are covered by us.
- The RSPB will help you be a little kinder to the environment by offering green loans to buy bikes or bus season tickets.
- Volunteer day – every year you’re given a paid day to help out the RSPB however you want to. Use it to develop different skills, use it to build contacts or use it to travel and see amazing wildlife.
- Mentoring scheme – work alongside colleagues to help develop the career you want, with advice from those that have done it before.
- If you stay with us for five years, you can take a salaried sabbatical! Travel the world or help develop a project you’re passionate about.
If you are interested in becoming part of our face to face recruitment team and helping the RSPB grow its membership to save nature send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will contact you.
Our face-to-face recruiters in action
Video transcript not available at present.