The Colourful Coast Project
This project has several parts: focusing on working with farmers to restore coastal land to make it good for choughs, farmland birds and BAP habitat, but also looking at access, landscape and the socio-economic benefits.
- Restoration and management of coastal habitats, including coastal heath and species-rich grasslands.
- Enhancement of the landscape, through the strengthening of traditional field boundaries via the restoration of stone-faced hedgebanks.
- Improvements to access for locals and visitors.
- Improved socio-economic benefits for the local area through the development of local 'ownership' of biodiversity and environmental assets.
- Realisation of the area's potential as an eco-tourism destination or stop-over for people on long distance rights of way such as the Cumbria Coastal Path and the Coast to Coast.
- Resource protection benefits from reverting steep, cliff top arable fields to grassland.