Feral pigeon deterrents
There are simple steps that you can take to help deter feral pigeons from visiting your garden.
What you can do
When trying to deter pigeons, preventing access to food is key.
- When feeding smaller birds, cage in all food so that pigeons cannot reach it. Maximum effective mesh size will be 2.5 inches. Pigeon-proof feeders are commercially available.
- Netting can prevent pigeons accessing recesses, buildings etc.
- Ledges can be protected by fitting specially designed spike strips or metal coil, or converting the ledge to a slope.
- Be careful with your choice of deterrent. Those designed for use on agricultural land are unlikely to be suited to urban or suburban context.
- Any audible deterrent will not be pigeon specific, but is just as likely to scare any bird within its effective range. Furthermore, it may become a serious nuisance to your neighbours.
- Avoid certain food and mixes that contain whole grains such as corn, wheat and barley that are likely to be eaten by large birds like pigeons.